Tips and Warnings while Buying a Mattress for Bed
A good night's sleep is very essential for a healthy life. Any doctor will tell you that a good night's sleep is extremely important. It is not just the number of hours that plays an important role in ensuring a good sleep but also the level of comfort that depends on the mattress that you choose to relax on and one of the basic requirements of sound sleep is the elusive 'perfect' mattress. But how do you distinguish between all the different varieties available? Check 17 Top Tips of Buying New Mattress.
Parts of a Mattress
Three Parts of a Mattress
Basic rule one should keep in mind.
1. Divide mattress in 3 parts
Header n Footer must have density of 40 (must not use u foam at any cost).
2. Middle portion that supports torso must have higher density preferably 60.
3. Harder the foam better you get support. You may choose to keep rubberised coir support in the base max 1.5-2 inch.
4. Covering should be lined with good quality cotton for its skin friendly properties.
5. Foam should be at least 4 inch thick.
Tips for Buying a Mattress for Bed
1. Coir or Foam Mattresses
Foam mattresses are known for its extraordinary capacity for adapting to the pressure exercised by the body and to the body heat. The heat makes materials malleable and all polyurethanes are subjected to this. Coir also tends to get compressed when body rests on it. Over a period of time, it does not regain back its original shape leading to sagging of the mattress. Memo foam mattress responds mainly to the pressure of the body rather than to the heat, heat interacts much slower than the weight; so we can easily presume that it would take longer to adapt and even longer to recuperate to its original shape. And this feature makes you 'wake up feeling fresh'. In the case of a coir mattress which is basically hard.
2. Affect of Mattress on Quality Sleep and RelaxationOnly when the body gets quality sleep; we feel rejuvenated and relaxed. The mattress on which we sleep needs to be firm, yet gentle. If it is too hard, then it gets uncomfortable and hinders the quality of sleep. A mattress, in order to be proportionate to our body and to offer 100 % of all its comfort and quality, it must be 20 cm longer than us and at least 160 cm wide if sleeping in two.
It is to be noted that the distribution of weight is different according to our body and from one person to another and the perception of support and comfort is different. If sleeping on a single mattress, the width must be at least 90 cm in order to allow natural movement during the night.
When sleeping on the same mattress; the pressure created is of two different bodies, which needs to be considered. It is, therefore, very important to consider the variables that influence our rest when we sleep with another person.
Mattresses are not the same for every person; some are designed to cushion your stiff back while others provide support according to a person's height, age or weight. We generally do not pay much attention to these factors before buying a mattress; but neglecting such concerns can affect our sleeping habit.
3. Check Age of your Existing MattressEvery mattress comes with its own expiry date. After a certain period of time, mattresses no longer retain their original comfort quality. If you've been having trouble sleeping, the problem might not be your mattress, but its age. This is the time that you should consider changing your mattress to prevent further troubles to your body.
4. The three S'sIn India, most customers tend to prioritise the cost of the mattress over other components and end up complaining later. Softness, support and size are three important attributes of a mattress.
5. Test before you finalizeOnce you've made up your mind on a particular mattress, try lying down on it for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Do not hurry with the big purchase and let not your decision be only influenced by the salesman. This will help you check for its comfort and reliability.
6. Check for all Options and VariationsDo not settle for anything mediocre. Check whether the mattress is firm, stylish and accompanied with a pillow-top the brand promises to offer.
7. Shop at a real Mattress StoreAvoid shopping from department stores. Salespeople at a mattress store are usually more trained and skilled enough to help you with the correct choice.
8. Do not forget to check the warrantyA good mattress will have a minimum of a 10 year 'full' replacement or a 'Non-prorated warranty'.
After it's all about sleeping well!
Quick Review of Tips
- Some stores will allow you to take a mattress home for a trial run. Sometimes there will be a small fee for this, or even a credit check.
- Dimension of the mattress should be selected precisely.
- Mattresses should have exclusive fabrics with zipper, which can be easily removed, dry cleaned and put back for use.
- Ask around for a good retailer or brand. Word of mouth is often the most reliable tool you have when researching a new brand or model.
- A mattress must be laid on a plain surface.
- Very useful tip to purchase the right mattress so that one can enjoy a sound sleep on it.
- Make sure the mattress is comfortable in the store before purchasing.
- Do not allow the sales persons' pitch to alter your choice. You've invested a fair amount on your own, and the salesperson will most likely not be familiar with any brands or models outside their own store and inventory.
- Feel free to lay on it if the display allows.
Mattress is yours, health is the priority for a perfect sleep. Check all the above points and then go for a mattress. Keep an eye out for specials and sales, and always try to negotiate delivery charges.
happy sleeping !